You have probably heard the term “union” more than once over the years, but what exactly does it mean? With many definitions and explanations, few people truly understand what a union is
Collectively, unions have fought for the rights and protections afforded to union and non-union working class alike such as:
These benefits are the result of a battle against corporations and employers that unions have fought with unwavering commitment for well over a century in order to better the lives of the working class.
Working with LIUNA, members have the opportunities for advancement and a ladder to the working middle class.
• Apprenticeship program offers a career pathway for prospective members of all skill and experience backgrounds.
• As a union member, members enjoy competitive pay and benefits that offer a path to the middle class.
• LIUNA Journey workers often go on to earn advanced certifications -building their careers as construction supervisors, safety officers or training instructors.
• By ensuring/preventing members death, illness and injury
• LIUNA members are safer on the job
• Members make more per week than their non union counterparts
• As a union worker you earn more on the job
• Men & women working in the construction industry see the difference a union makes in every paycheck.
• Workers within a union also have an advantage when it comes to HEALTHCARE (Medical, Dental, Vision) & RETIREMENT (Annuity).
• Medical, Dental, Vision for you and your family,100% funded by employer
• As a LIUNA member you are represented/protected in many ways.
• Your local union will protect you in many ways from enforcing legal rights to protecting you against discrimination in the workplace
The Laborers' New England Region Organizing Fund fulfills LIUNA promise to empower our members, raise their standard of living, offer them a strong voice in the workplace and protect their health and safety by expanding our market share and growing our membership. New members make our bargaining position stronger, giving us the ability to achieve higher wages and better benefits for all LIUNA members.
Our Laborers’ New England Region Organizing Fund provides Local Unions with support during campaigns, including materials, research and technical assistance to bring the power of LIUNA membership to workers everywhere.
With the power of the Laborers’ International Union of North America behind them our Laborers’ New England Region Organizing Fund also assists in developing comprehensive organizing campaigns from the ground up such as the union’s weatherization and pipeline organizing campaigns.
Find out more about organizing your workplace.